Your Opportunity for Public Recognition
The FICPA is expanding the scope of its financial literacy programs by joining the AICPA's national 360 Degrees of Financial Literacy initiative. This initiative offers the FICPA and its members a unique opportunity to improve the lives of thousands of Floridians and enhance the way CPAs are viewed and valued by the public. Through this organized, proactive public-education campaign, FICPA members can build a solid image among the public as trusted business professionals and receive community recognition for their efforts. To learn more about the 360 Degrees of Financial Literacy Campaign, go to http://www.360financialliteracy.org.
Why it's Important
According to the AICPA, the lack of financial literacy is a national threat for every income group in our society.
A 2004 statewide survey of Floridians released by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research Inc. indicates a significant gap between financial preparedness and financial readiness. Survey findings include:
- More than one-third of those surveyed have more debt than savings or investments
- About 25 percent are putting nothing aside each month for retirement, while another 25 percent waited until they were in their 40's or 50's
- 56 percent of Floridians report placing nothing aside each month for an emergency
- Almost 1 in 5 report having suffered a financial crisis due to medical expenses, a job loss, or a divorce
- More than 80 percent of Floridians have credit cards and more than 50 percent report current debt levels ranging from $2,000 to $20,000
- While many Floridians appeared to be falling short of successfully managing their own wealth and finances, a majority wanted to see the youth of Florida better educated in financial matters.
360 Degrees - The Campaign
360 Degrees of Financial Literacy is a multi-faceted program that equips CPAs to take a broad leadership role in educating the public — from school children to retirees — about sound financial practices that apply to their particular stage of life. The program provides CPA volunteers with a free Financial Literacy CPE course, comprehensive planning guides, presentation materials and resources to prepare them to take the message of financial literacy into their communities. Everything needed to conduct a successful community outreach program is easily accessible and organized to make it effortless for financial literacy volunteers.
Benefits of Participating
Volunteering to speak to community groups, civic organizations, schools, senior centers and others about financial literacy positions you as:
- A caring professional willing to share your expertise to help others
- A credible and trustworthy source of financial information
Serving as a financial literacy advocate:
- Increases your visibility in the community
- Increases the public's awareness of the CPA profession
To become a financial literacy volunteer, please contact Brenda Hubbard at [email protected] or (850) 224-2727, Ext. 419.